Subject: Re: Image map/matching colors
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 19:04:04 -0500

Brian Dady writes;
>   Is there an easy way to determine the required image map size required
for
>   a given surface or must I continue to use the 'trial-and-error' method?
>    This iterative process requires repeatedly adjusting the image size and
>    offset, then rendering to see if the letters line up properly beside the
>    buttons (very time-consuming).

As far as maping an image to match an object, I screen grab my Modeler screen
with the object I am maping full screen (I drag the screen, front, to full
screen). I then load this screen grab into toaster paint. From here I paint
on the wire frame that I screen grabed painting exactly were it should lay.
In your case were the tapered top of the button is, painting the number and
letters that go with each button. I then save the image with suitable name
and load into ADPro. I use Crop Visual and crop the image so that the map
edge is exactly the models edge. Re-save map and load into LW using Auto
size. Make sure you name the tops of the buttons in Modeler with a surface
name using that surface for the image map. This results in a perfect match
every time. I use this method to map digitized images onto the Humanoid
object. I used to have the same problem of trail an error placing the lips
and nose to lay on the object perfectly. I use the same as I have discribed
but I load the screen grab into Toaster Paint spare screen. This way I can go
back and forth making sure my map lays were it should go. I actualy hold my
finger on the screen on the point of the wireframe nose and swap screens so
that I palce the nose brush exactly were it belongs. Now this may seem
extreem but the map is always right. I call it my quasi 3D paint system. I am
looking into Alpha Paints onion skin feature as it might make this task
easier as well as PhotoShops alpha channel, editing the RGB image and setting
the mask to be the screen grab so as I can see thru it. This has become a
misson of mine.

Hope this helps,

Jose Burgos
Freelance 3D Animator
Into the Light Publisher